Join Andrea Smith, head mechanic of Team Colavita, and Steve the Bike Guy, as they teach attendees to take care of their mountain or fat bikes during a five hour, hands-on session. Weather and trail conditions permitting, at the end of the event attendees are invited to join us for a ride through Hale.
Limited experience necessary – If you know how to fix a flat, you are ready for our clinic. However, we do require a sense of adventure and willingness to learn & get dirty!
Sunday, September 20, 2020 | 10am to 3pm
Powisett Lodge at Hale
80 Carby St, Westwood, MA 02090
REGISTRATION IS CLOSED
Registration ($125) includes a “Women Who Wrench” apron as well as gloves, fluids, cloths, lunch (probably pizza) and other goodies.
During the clinic you will work on your own bike, learning how to:
- Take apart and clean and maintain your bike to ensure it continues to run smoothly and prolong the life of your bike and major parts.
- Make minor repairs and adjustments including evaluating and changing a chain, adjusting brakes and shifting and more.
- Keep your bike shifting & braking smoothly by fixing brakes and drivetrain, setting proper cable tension, changing brake pads, and evaluating and replacing a worn chain.
- Make major repairs and replace parts including remove and cleaning your crank arms and cassette and replacing cables, and more.
- Prepare for an emergency, including how to make repairs on the trail.
- Learn about hydraulic disc brakes including evaluating function, tricks to keep them running well, and maintenance procedures.
- Setting up suspension and maintaining pivots.
- Dealing with dropper posts.
- Mountain bike tires are a critical aspect of your ride. Learn about different treads, tire pressures, and tubeless setup.
What you need for the clinic
Make sure to bring:
- A mountain or fat bike
- Repair stand
- Water bottle for refilling
- Snacks (in case you want something specific)
Before we will send a list of suggested tools, as well a link where attendees can buy tools or a stand at a significant discount.
About the Mechanics
Andrea Smith – A former masters national cyclocross champion and road racer, Ande first started riding as a way to crosstrain. Following her desire to learn how to take care of her bicycle, she eventually landed a mechanic position at REI, not just taking care of customer bikes but also leading the store’s women’s mechanic clinics. The sole female mechanic of any professional cycling squad, Ande joined the Colavita Women’s Pro Cycling Team in 2015 and today works with Colavita Cares to support women and girls in the passions that they have.
Steve Brandt – A USA Cycling Certified Race Mechanic, Steve turned his lifelong passion for bikes into a career in 2011 when he adopted the moniker “Steve the Bike Guy,” first providing mobile services and then opening the Velo Studio in 2015.
Women Who Wrench Clinic is sponsored by:
Additional sponsorship opportunities are available. Ask for details.