For the second year, my wife, friends and I joined over 1,000 local cyclists in the “Midnight Marathon Ride,” following the Boston Marathon route from Hopkinton into Boston.
While the weather at this year’s event was perfect, cool but not cold without a hint of precipitation, owe still needed to properly prepare for riding in the dark, on streets on roads which are still open to traffic.
The bikes – The road bikes were tuned up and ready to go, with a few extra accessories:
- Front headline and rear flasher for maximum visibility (similar to this Lezyne Macro Zecto Drive Light Pair)
- Garmin GPS units, with the route loaded (from Ride with GPS) before hand.
- GoPro HERO3+: Silver Edition – for documenting the fun
- Multi-Color Flexible Light Strands for Bikes – for added visibility (and fun)
- Emergency supplies – Including multi-tool, spare tubes, patch kit and pump
The clothing – Layers, layers and more layers:
- Lazer helmets with Brooks Infiniti Beanies (freebie from a past event)
- Clear cycling glasses or safety glasses
- Wools socks
- Swix ski gloves
- Craft thermal undershirts
- Toe covers and hand and toe warmers
- Her: Brooks Women’s Nightlife Infiniti 1/2 Zip II Top and Brooks Women’s Nightlife Ess. Run Vest II, Louis Garneau cycling shorts and running tights
- Me: Swix Geilo Cycling Jacket and bib cycling tights
Unlike cyclists coming in from the city, our challenge was how to get home after the ride. Leaving a vehicle in one of Boston’s 24-hour parking garages ensured we would have a way home, and allowed us to bring a change of clothing and street shoes.
Arriving in the city, we were thrilled to end our ride crossing the finish line of the Boston Marathon (something that had been banned last year due to safety concerns). After taking a few photos and thanking the volunteers, we finished our adventure with pancakes and bacon – buy your tickets early because the event sells out – before heading home.
Links are to Amazon.com. As an Amazon.com affiliate, the Velo Studio earns advertising fees from Qualifying Purchases, including products recommended through the site. Other items are available in stock, or to order, through the Velo Studio.