Women cyclists, grab your favorite bike and come get greasy as you learn how to care for your bike under the tutelage of Andrea Smith of Team Colavita, the only female mechanic on the cycling pro tour. All profits from the clinic will be donated to Little Bellas and Unity Farm Sanctuary.
Sunday, May 20, 2018
1:00 PM to 4:00 PM
The Carriage House @ Unity Farm Sanctuary
During the three-hour, hands-on session, you will work on your own bike, learning how to:
- Take apart and clean and maintain your bike to ensure it continues to run smoothly and prolong the life of your bike and major parts.
- Make minor repairs and adjustments including fixing a chain, adjusting braking and shifting and more.
- Keep your bike shifting & braking smoothly by fixing brakes and drivetrain, setting proper cable tension, changing brake pads, and evaluating and replacing a worn chain.
- Make major repairs and replace parts including remove and cleaning your crank arms and cassette and replacing cables, and more.
- Prepare for an emergency including how to make repairs on the road or trail.
Each participant will receive a work apron and toolkit (retail value $165) with everything you need to take care of your bike when you get back home.
What is required from you:
- Bike – Road, mountain or cyclocross/gravel – sorry, no triathlon or time trial-style bikes.
- Bike stand – If you don’t have a bike stand, you will be able to purchase one, at cost, at time of registration. We promise it’s worth having a stand at home!
- Limited experience necessary – If you know how to fix a flat, you are ready for our clinic. However, we do require a sense of adventure and willingness to learn & get dirty!
About Your Mechanics
Andrea Smith – A former masters national cyclocross champion and road racer, Ande first started riding as a way to crosstrain. Following her desire to learn how to take care of her bicycle, she eventually landed a mechanic position at REI, not just taking care of customer bikes but also leading the store’s women’s mechanic clinics. The sole female mechanic of any professional cycling squad, Ande joined the Colavita Women’s Pro Cycling Team in 2015 and today works with Colavita Cares to support women and girls in the passions that they have.
Steve Brandt – A USA Cycling Certified Race Mechanic, Steve turned his lifelong passion for bikes into a career in 2011 when he adopted the moniker “Steve the Bike Guy,” first providing mobile services and then opening the Velo Studio in 2015. Steve and his wife, Kristin, are committed to encouraging and empowering women and girls, including their daughter Sophie, to ride through education, events and as organizers of the Velo Studio’s Cyclocross Team.
All profits from the clinic will be donated to Little Bellas and Unity Farm Sanctuary.
About Little Bellas
The Little Bellas is a mountain bike organization whose goal is to help young women realize their potential through cycling. We aim to create a community that will empower girls through the sport, emphasizing the importance of goal-setting, promote healthy lifestyles and recognize the positive effects of strong female bonds.
About Unity Farm
Unity Farm Sanctuary is a non-profit providing rehabilitation and permanent housing for distressed farm animals. Located in Sherborn, MA, Unity Farm Sanctuary encompasses 15 acres of farmland, and currently houses around 150 animals that have been rescued from a wide variety of living conditions and situations.
Thank you to our sponsors & supporters!